Six champions crowned on first day of Eastern Level 9 Junior Olympic Championships
- Junior 1: Individual | Team
- Junior 2: Individual | Team
- Junior 3: Individual | Team
- Junior 4: Individual | Team
- Junior 5: Individual | Team
- Junior 6: Individual | Team
ROCHESTER, N.Y., May 4, 2018 – The first six of 16 champions were crowned today at the 2018 Women’s Junior Olympic Level 9 Eastern Championships in Rochester, N.Y., at Gordon Fieldhouse at the Rochester Institute of Technology. Along with the Junior Olympic Level 9 Western Championships, the Eastern Championships is the culmination of the Junior Olympic Level 9 competitive season.
The all-around medalists are listed below.
- Junior 1 – Gold, Olivia Kelly, Bronx, N.Y./North Stars Gymnastics Academy, 37.700; silver, Jazlynn Chism, So Elgin, Ill./Midwest Elite Gymnastics Academy, 37.475; bronze, Gabriella Van Frayen, Lewis Center, Ohio/Gym X-Treme, 37.450
- Junior 2 – Gold, Abigail Bednar, Waxhaw, N.C./Southeastern Gymnastics Center, 37.875; silver, Alyssa Taylor, St Charles, Ill./Legacy Elite Gymnastics LLC, 37.625; bronze, Samantha Macasu, Bartlett, Ill./Legacy Elite Gymnastics LLC, 37.525
- Junior 3 – Gold, Alessandra Tuozzolo, Doral, Fla./Elite Gymnastics Academy, 37.775; silver, Jaydah Battle, Hampton, Va./World Class Gymnastics, 37.725; bronze, Madeline Hall, Hampton, Va./World Class Gymnastics, 37.500
- Junior 4 – Gold, Jenna Olshefski, Orient, Ohio/Universal Gymnasts Inc., 37.700.; silver, Olivia DiNovi, Mt. Royal, N.J./First State Gymnastics, 37.575; bronze, Kendall Turner, Belvidere, Ill./Gymnastic Academy of Rockford, 37.275
- Junior 5 – Gold, Ava Molina, Loveland, Ohio/Cincinnati Gymnastics, 37.725; silver, Madyson Baucom, Mooresville, N.C./Everest Gymnastics, 37.575; bronze, Nia Poole, Waxhaw, N.C./Southeastern Gymnastics Center, 37.300
- Junior 6 – Gold, Laci Keck, Carthage, Ind./Gymnastics Unlimited, 37.750; silver, Rachel Rybicki, Grosse Pointe Park, Mich./Olympia Gymnastics Academy, 37.400; bronze, Regan Flannery, Ortonville, Mich./Stars and Stripes Gymnastics, 37.275
The remaining competition schedule for the Eastern Championships is as follows.
- May 5 – Session 4 – Juniors 7 and 8 at 9:35 a.m., Session 5 – Seniors 1 and 2 at 1:35 p.m., and Session 6 – Seniors 3 and 4 at 5:35 p.m.
- May 6 – Session 7 – Seniors 5 and 6 at 9:05 a.m., and Session 8 – Seniors 7 and 8 at 1:05 p.m.
Tickets are available onsite: training day (May 3), adults – $10, and children (5-12) and seniors (65+) – $5; one-day pass, adults – $25, children and seniors – $10. Children 4-and-under are free.
The Junior Olympic Eastern and Western Championships are two of USA Gymnastics’ championships events. Both championships feature the top seven gymnasts in the all-around in each age division from the respective regional championships and will have competition in 16 age divisions, which are determined by birth date.
The Monroe County Sports Commission, Visit Rochester and Rochester Gymnastics Academy are organizing the Eastern Championships, which features the top Level 9 gymnasts from USA Gymnastics Regions 5-8. The states that comprise each region are: Region 5 – Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio; Region 6 – Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont; Region 7 – Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia; and Region 8 – Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee.