2014 Women's Junior Olympic Level 9 Eastern and Western Championships concluded May 4
- Eastern: Junior 1-8 Ind. | Junior 1-8 Team | Senior 1-8 Ind. | Senior 1-8 Team | Super Team
- Western: Junior A-D Ind. | Junior A-D Team | Senior A-D Ind. | Senior A-D Team | Super Team
INDIANAPOLIS, May 4, 2014 – The 2014 Women’s Junior Olympic Level 9 Eastern and Western Championships concluded May 4. The 2014 Women’s Junior Olympic Level 9 Eastern Championships were held at the Bradenton (Fla.) Area Convention Center, and the Level 9 Western Championships were staged at CenturyLink Arena in Boise, Idaho. The Level 9 Eastern and Western Championships are the competitive season’s culmination event and feature the best gymnasts in the country for Level 9.
Level 9 Eastern Championships – Photos of the All-Around Champions
For the Level 9 Eastern Championships, Region 7 won the Super Team title, with Region 8 finishing second, Region 5 in third, and Region 6 in fourth. The all-around and team champions for each session are listed below. Super Team Results
- Session 1. Lauren Little of Mooresville, N.C./Everest Gymnastics, won the all-around title for the Junior 1 subdivision with a 37.375 total. For Junior 2 subdivision, Kinsey Davis of Cornelius, N.C./KPAC, took top all-around honors with a 37.500. Team honors went to Region 7 for Junior 1 (149.325) and Junior 2 (149.900). Junior 1: Individual | Team. Junior 2: Individual | Team.
- Session 2. Gabryel Wilson of Ypsilanti, Mich./Michigan Academy of Gymnastics, earned the Junior 3 all-round crown with her 37.975. The Junior 4 all-around title went to McKenna Appleton of Great Falls, Va./Hill’s Gymnastics (38.000). Region 5 was the highest scoring team for Junior 3 (149.900), and Region 7 was the top team for Junior 4 (150.425). Junior 3: Individual | Team. Junior 4: Individual | Team.
- Session 3. For Junior 5, Samantha Strickler of St Petersburg, Fla./Tampa Bay Turners Gymnastics, claimed the all-around title at 37.975. Mariella Miele of Basking Ridge, N.J./North Stars Gymnastics Academy, garnered the Junior 6 all-around gold. In the team competition, Region 8 was first for both Junior 5 (150.125) and Junior 6 (149.325). Junior 5: Individual | Team. Junior 6: Individual | Team.
- Session 4. The Junior 7 all-around title went to Mia Schlarbaum of Victor, N.Y./Rochester Gymnastics Academy, who tallied 37.400. The Junior 7 team crown went to Region 7 with 149.100. For Junior 8, Claire Haklik of Acworth, Ga./Gymnastics Academy of Atlanta, won the all-around, and the team honors went to Region 8 with 148.075 points. Junior 7: Individual | Team. Junior 8: Individual | Team.
- Session 5. In the first senior session, Emilie LeBlanc of Apex, N.C./Sonshine Gymnastics, claimed the Senior 1 all-around title (37.625). Lauren Graham of Durham, N.C./Bull City Gymnastics, earned the Senior 2 crown (37.600). Region 8 was the top team for both Senior 1 (149.425) and Senior 2 (149.775). Senior 1: Individual | Team. Senior 2: Individual | Team.
- Session 6. Alexandra Peters of Mays Landing, N.J./Atlantic Coast Gymnastics, captured the Senior 3 all-around crown with her 37.300; Region 7 was the team champion at 148.475. Brittany Lewis of Arcadia, Calif./Twistars USA, Inc., garnered the Senior 4 all-around title by scoring a 37.675. The Senior 4 team title went to Region 5 (150.925). Senior 3: Individual | Team. Senior 4: Individual | Team.
- Session 7. In the Senior 5 division, Cierra Worobec of Clinton Two, Mich./Olympia Gymnastics Academy, was the all-around champ at 37.450, and Region 5 was the top team at 148.000. Meghan Cash of Glen Allen, Va./River City Youth Fitness, claimed the Senior 6 all-around title with her 37.275, and the team crown was earned by Region 7 (148.375). Senior 5: Individual | Team. Senior 6: Individual | Team.
- Session 8. Lauren Allswede of East Lansing, Mich./Red Cedar Gymnastics, LLC, became the Senior 7 all-around champ when she posted a 37.175. The session’s team title went to Region 8 (147.425). For Senior 8, Samantha Lemire of Moodus, Conn./Shoreline Gymnastics, won the Senior 8 title with 37.100, and the team champ was Region 6 (147.050). Senior 7: Individual | Team. Senior 8: Individual | Team.
The Eastern Championships featured 16 age divisions, which are determined by birth date. The Eastern Championships included top gymnasts from Regions 5-8. The states that comprise each region are: Region 5 – Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio; Region 6 – Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island, Vermont; Region 7 – Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia; and Region 8 – Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee. Tampa Bay Turners Gymnastics and Swimming Academy, Inc., was local club hosting the event.
Level 9 Western Championships
Region 1 won the Super Team award, with Regions 3 and 4 tying for second followed by Region 2 in fourth. The all-around and team champions at the Level 9 Western Championships are listed below. Super Team Results.
- Junior A. Sunisa Lee of Saint Paul, Minn./Midwest Gymnastics Center, won the all-around title with her 38.150. Region 4 took team honors at 225.600. Junior A: Individual | Team.
- Junior B. Kaylee Kho of Rosemead, Calif./Winner’s Academy of Gymnastics, and Jasmine Harris of Wildomar, Calif./SCEGA Gymnastics, tied for the session’s top honors in the all-around at 37.500. The team title went to Region 1 (226.075). Junior B: Individual | Team.
- Junior C. Madilyn Quarles of Andover, Minn./Twin City Twisters, nabbed the all-around crown (37.775). Region 1 was the team champion (226.550). Junior C: Individual | Team.
- Junior D. Madison Mariani of Tucson, Ariz./Arizona Dynamics Gymnastics, won the session’s all-around with a 38.075. Region 1 collected the team title at 225.100. Junior D: Individual | Team.
- Senior A. Margaret Schwiebert of Cupertino, Calif./West Valley Gymnastics School, won the all-around, posting a 37.650. The session’s top team was Region 1 with 225.500 points. Senior A: Individual | Team.
- Senior B. Carly Israel of Pleasanton, Calif./California Gymnastics Academy, collected the all-around title with her 37.925. Team honors went to Region 1, which scored 227.075. Senior B: Individual | Team.
- Senior C. With her 37.500, Briana Pearson of Los Gatos, Calif./West Valley Gymnastics School, won the all-around title. Region 1 was the team champion (221.900). Senior C: Individual | Team.
- Senior D. Jori Robertson of Iowa City, Iowa/Iowa Gym-Nest, became the all-around champion with her 37.150 total. For the team title, Regions 1 and 3 tied for first at 221.300. Senior D: Individual | Team.
The Western Championships featured eight age divisions, which are determined by birth date. The Level 9 Western Championships had the top gymnasts from Regions 1-4. The states that comprise each region are: Region 1 — Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah; Region 2 – Alaska, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington; Region 3 – Arkansas, Colorado, Kansas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, Wyoming; and Region 4 – Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin. USA Gymnastics – Idaho was the host for the Level 9 Western Championships.
The Junior Olympic Eastern and Western Championships are two of USA Gymnastics’ championships events. Many Junior Olympians have gone on to make the U.S. National Team and represent the United States in international competition and/or to compete in collegiate gymnastics.